Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Waddington Shank Alternatives















I gave up tying on Waddington Shanks years ago. I went from spending the money on them to making them using spinner materials then cotter pins. I just didn't like the way they looked like in the end and stopped tying super long flies. I then moved on to Mustad 34007 then 3407DT. The 3407DT's were cheaper but found an alternative when a friend showed me these old Mustad - Bridgeport Snapper Hooks. I was then shocked when I got 800 of then for only eight bucks.

These hooks are three and a half inches long and you can find them in silver and blue. These are perfect for those winter intruders or strung out flies that have become more popular over the years. I cut the hook off of them and stick them on the vice with a tube fly attachment and add the stinger hook with nylon coated wire. This is quick, easy and very effective for larger flies. Not that I am looking forward to fishing those off colored waters of winter and spring, but the added size with profile just might help you get that one tug that keeps you out there.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Love the fly on the table Mike!

May have to look for some of those. I like the straight eye.

Just call me Gamby said...

Nice. tie up a bunch for us next weekend.

:)