Friday, June 1, 2012

Stuff You Catch in Mexico When Not Catching Roosterfish

I finally got a much needed fishing vacation that did not involve freezing or sweating my balls off in a pair of waders. As my friends know, I am not a saltwater guy. Hell I give a shit about fishing flats chasing Bonefish or chasing Tarpon. This kind of fly fishing just isn't my cup of tea, but Roosterfish, well they always made me wonder. So last month I got my chance to see what this kind of fishing is like and just like steelhead fishing, got to experience the beatdown. Apparently there needs to be bait in the area to catch these guys and Sardina their primary food source was nowhere to be found in the area I was fishing. Still I got to experience seeing them and having a few of them fin while chasing various offerings I threw at them. I also got to see a huge school of Mullet get pounded by at least a dozen Roosters. A National Geographic moment for sure. In the end I wish I would have stuck to the beaches to fish for them, but even the few opportunities I had made it well worth the trip. I guess there is always next year and I did come back from Mexico with my head.

But I did get to tangle with several new species.




























The easiest way to describe a Pacific Jack Cravalle is grumpy. These guys just beat you up and bark at you when they are pissed. If I couldn't get a Rooster, this was a close second for sure.









Sorry for the postmortem pictures, but the Dorado went home for dinner. Everything you hear about these guys is correct, they are a blast on light tackle and like to take flight.












Trumpet fish, interesting catch the first time, but not the 42nd. These guys were everywhere and swam backwards when hooked. Really the swimming backwards thing was the only interesting thing about them.













Pacific Ladyfish, the Whitefish of the Sea of Cortez. These would be a blast on a six weight and run, jump, thrash, etc. We found schools of them and even one huge school that was herding baitfish.
















Spotted Porcupinefish or Spotted Pufferfish were interesting to see swimming to your fly, but not so much to hook. Still cool aquarium fish to say the least. Great fight on ten weights.






Pacific Needlefish, these guys are everywhere and aggressive as hell. The only problem is you cannot hook them in the beak and shred up your flies. Still having them around fills the boredom with explosive takes.














Barred Pargo, these tanks will wreck you in the rocks if you give them a chance.












Panamic Grasby, one of the many Cabrilla found in Baja. Very cool guys that eat up nice and give you hell when fishing in the rocks and coral beds. Give them an inch and they are gone.














A Pinche Cabrilla, I mean Clown Hawkfish. The locals call everything Cabrilla down there, Always cool to catch something you cannot identify.(Thanks for the ID Mr Note.)

7 comments:

banknote said...

Cool fishes!

I've caught my share of mystery fish down there, but the bottom one looks like a Clown Hawkfish.
http://www.mexfish.com/fish/chawk/chawk.htm

BLUEANGLER said...

sweeeeeeet! I will take that!

David McKenzie said...

Awesome..the those hawkfish are cool as hell.

Anonymous said...

Nice catch there. you've got different kinds of fish that you caught and don't even know the other names of the fish that you got. thanks for the blog, its very informative to me.



michigan web design

mike doughty said...

those are some good looking fish. i'm with you though, i really just don't care about the warm salt water fishing.

cedarslodgecom said...

A interesting blog post right there mate!

Ketchikan Fishing Lodge

Unknown said...

All I can say is "WOW", I always like to see photos of rare fishes like the one you post.

If you want to learn more about fly fishing, I think you should pay a visit to this wonderful site.