Monday, January 4, 2010

Creekside Fly Fishing
















I drove down to Salem, Oregon today to visit my friend Rich Youngers at Creekside Fly Fishing and use those mighty gift certificates that have been staring me down at the tying table for over a month now. But instead of buying those needed wading boots like I should have, I ended up raiding the tying materials for all those things I have been too cheap to purchase in the past. Multiple colors of grizzly hackle, black bear hair, amherst, bright orange golden pheasant crest, frenchie gay tinsel, arctic fox, spey hackle, BADASS Loops Black Nickel Doubles for tubes and a bunch of other necessities.

















Rich is one of Oregon's many talented and innovative fly tiers when not guiding in the Willamette Valley and Oregon Coast. Rich is one of the few fly fishing guides on the Oregon Coast that fishes the estuary. I met Rich many years ago and fished with him on the Oregon Coast. Since then I have always tried to stop by and raid his fly tying selection and pick his brain on the local coastal fisheries. Rich offers many fly tying classes and can be seen at the Northwest Fly Tiers Expo. His creative skill at tying classic salmon patterns as well as modern steelhead and cutthorat patterns is amazing. His Summer Run pattern is a killer on the Deschutes in the Summer and a must for the fly box.
















Support your local fly shop and visit Rich at Creekside Fly Fishing the next time you are in Salem.
















Rich with one of many Winter Steelhead we caught while fishing the North Coast many moons ago. Check out his new shop blog.

4 comments:

Jergens said...

I just got one of those blue grizzly hackles as well, they are awesome.

mike doughty said...

you gonna know what to do with all that shit mike? i didn't even think you tied.

Steelie Mike said...

Mike I am an industrial tier, tying lots of certain things at a time. Not always the classics, but stuff that works for me.

Alaska Sportfishing Expeditions said...

Interesting post, I like the content. Thank you for the informations.

Alaska Sports Fishing